Thursday, August 25, 2011

Bo's First Day of Kindergarten

It's hard to believe but Bo is now a Kindergartner. I don't know if I should be excited or sad. Part of me loves watching him grow and explore and try new things but the other part wants him to stay little and cuddly and my little Bo-bo forever. Where did the last 5 years go? (Oh that's right, it got flushed into a hazy fog of 2 more babies, not much sleep and a whirlwind of everyday life. Duh!) Yesterday was his first day and it went well. He was excited about the idea of school, the new clothes, the new lunch box, super cool "golden" folder. . .but this eagerness quickly faded when it came time to me having to leave him in the classroom. He did not want me to leave and immediately reclused into himself, hunching down over his paper, crayon in hand, his head practically touching the table, mentally blocking out everyone else around. It broke my heart. But I knew he would be fine. His teacher, Mrs. Todd, is super nice and his table mate, Jacob, seemed like a very nice kid so with a wave and one last kiss I was gone.

The nice thing about Kindergarten in Fairbanks is that they ease the kids in slowly. First of all they start a week after all the other grades and then once they do start, they only go for 2.5 hours the first two days. It's great. Plus because the Kindergarten classes are flex-day, each classroom has a morning group of kids (8:30-1:00) and an afternoon group of kids (10:30-3:00) with them all overlapping a few hours in the middle. But for these first two days of school, the two groups do not overlap at all, so the class size is small (about 10 kids). Bo went 12:30-3:00 and it worked out great. It was a nice transition. He got to play at home all morning, eat lunch here and then go in for a few hours in the afternoon. Not bad.

And amazingly enough, when I picked him up yesterday, he said it was, "good"! :)

However, this morning when it came time to get ready for school, he said, "What? I have to go again?!"

2 comments:

Angie said...

During the first week last year, Ashlyn said, "I have to go EVERYDAY!" She was completely excited about going, but this all day/every day thing was a bit much for her at first.

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Can't believe he is in Kindergarten! Time flies too damn fast. Glad he is adjusting. I am sure it is an adjustment for you too.

p.s. Wilson is already asking to go to K. I wonder if he will this time next year too.