Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Homemade Playdough

I have made playdough a few times with the kids in the past and it always seems to be a little off (too dry, too moist, to crumbly, too messy) so this time I tried a new recipe and it worked great.  It was super easy and relatively not messy.  Sam did all the scooping, dumping and stirring so that alone caused a bit of a flour blizzard but all in all it was mess free.  I cooked it.  Sam & Max dumped their food coloring in and then I did the initial kneading (which I highly recommend because my hands are slightly smurfish now).  I doubled the recipe and then split it onto 2 plastic plates after cooking so each boy could make their own color.  I also added some vanilla flavoring during the cooking process to make it smell good and not leave a yucky smell on your hands after playing with it.  I'm glad I did.
 
 

 


Play Dough Recipe:

1 cup white flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tablespoon cream of tartar (find it in the spice section)
1 tablespoon oil
1 cup water
food coloring

Mix first 4 ingredients in a pan. Add water and mix well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 3 – 5 minutes. Dough will become difficult to stir and form a “clump”. Remove from stove and knead for 5 minutes–add food coloring during kneading process. Play dough will keep for a long time stored in a covered plastic container or plastic sandwich bag.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

That looks like fun! I miss you all.