Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Saturday Was A Big Day

Saturday on our way home from swim lessons, the boys and I took a detour to a garage sale. I'm generally not a garage sale shopper but all the signs for this one said "mostly kid stuff" so I figured, "what the heck, let's check it out."

After driving for what seemed like forever, I ended up buying a brand new pack-n-play (don't really need one but it was a great deal), a few baby toys for Max and then let Bo and Sam each pick out one toy for themselves (Lord knows we don't need any more toys in this house).

Bo picked a new Car's game for his Leap Frog computer and Sam chose this ride-on car thing. They were both super excited but especially Sam. He loved his new toy. The moment we walked in the door (and disinfected it) he started racing around the house on it and screaming, "my toy!" anytime Bo got near it.

But when Sam went down for a nap and Bo was preoccupied with his new game, out popped little ole Max. He pulled himself right up behind the car and started to push that thing. He was walking! I couldn't believe it. We have had a Thomas the Tank Engine push toy since Bo was little but Max never expressed any interest in it. Then low and behold, bring this home and the kid starts walking.

While this is obviously baby book worthy and oober exciting, the problem with it is we now have a case of Sam vs Max.

Once Sam wakes up. . .Sam wants to ride it. Max wants to walk behind it. Rock beats scissors and Sam beats Max. Next thing I know, Sam is drag racing through the kitchen, Max is flailing in his dust with a death grip on the rail and legs scuffing the floor. Sam is laughing. Max is crying. I want to do both. I so wish I had my camera.

But in the rare moments when the car is unguarded, Max loves to push it all through the house.

I can't believe my little baby is starting to walk . . .

And my other baby is training wheel free.

Our friends let us borrow the bike their boys learned to ride on a few weeks ago and Bo has been sitting on it and coasting around the garage on it but not pedaling . . .until Saturday. All of a sudden he just took off on it and once he started, he did not want to stop. He even rode in the rain for an hour that night because he was so excited and proud of himself. It's been three days and many shin bruises later but he is now racing around laps, hills, bumps, and banks. He even rode down our front patio concrete step tonight like it was nothing. The boy is an athletic animal.

He must take after me. (ok ok, and Wes)

2 comments:

Angie said...

Wow. I'm impressed. Ashlyn is still working on training wheels. I wonder what would happen if we took them off?

Anonymous said...

Get ready......my boys are the same way. I walked out and Hudson was standing on his bike (with training wheels of course) Max looks just like you.....they are so cute.
Merritt