Sunday, September 26, 2010

Summer Recap 5 - Bees!!

A few weeks ago Bo came running into the house squealing and crying. It was one of those shrills that as a mom you know something is REALLY wrong. He was tugging at his shirt and pointing to his back and screeching and screaming and squirming. . . .BEES!. . . . He had stepped on an in ground bee hive while playing in our front yard with his friend Devon and the little bastards flew up his shorts and tshirt and were stinging the living bajesus out of him.


I immediately started to strip him down but there were still bees hovering around him and a few clinging to the top of this sock so it soon became a battle of many fronts. Not only did I need to take care of Bo, but also protect Sam and Max, and get the freakin bees out of the house. It was chaos. Thank God Devon's mom, Becky, was here. I'm not sure what I would have done without her.

Being severely allergic herself, Becky took Bo into the bathroom and shut the door. This way she could help Bo and quarantine herself from the bees. She threw him in a hot shower to help reduce the sting. "TWELVE! THIRTEEN! FOURTEEN!" She tried to count the number of stings but lost track. There were too many. "WHERE'S THE BENADRYL?!"

All the while, I was bouncing around the kitchen like a crazy woman, swinging a turkey fryer lid in the air with one hand and a pot in the other. Quite the site, I'm sure. Especially when one of the bees bounced off the big ass lid and landed on my cheek. I honestly didn't know I could juke that fast or squeal that loud but boy let me tell you, it was not pretty.

It sucked!!!

But thankfully by the time my frantic kitchen dance was successful, Becky had already given Bo a hefty dose of Benadryl and had him almost entirely dressed. We both decided I needed to get him to the ER pronto because we had no idea how his body was going to react and we live 25 minutes away. I was freaked of anaphalaxis and out the door we flew.

(Becky stayed with Sam & Max until Marcia (Grandma) could get here.)

Luckily Bo never experienced any breathing issues but did receive an Epi shot, an oral steroid (prednisone) and another dose of Benadryl during the 4 hours we were at the ER for observation. They finally discharged him and sent us home with a 4 day prescription of prednisone and more Benadryl but told me to bring him back if the welts ever spread to areas other than the sting sites.

The sting sites started out as light red welts with his shoulder and calf hurting the most

Then turned into dark bright red patches locally around the stingsWhen I picked him up from school the next morning he had welts all over his abdomen, bum, forearms, and hamstrings. Needless to say, we went back to the doctor that afternoon and got prescribed an Epi pen for next time, just in case his reaction is worse. . .

. . .hopefully we will never have to find out.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Holy crap! Poor baby!