Wednesday, January 28, 2009

House Of Snot

Sam is full of snot again. Poor guy. He's been running fever for 24 hours and has tons of green snot coming out of his nose at all times. He's a mess and thanks to the wonderful socialized health care of the US Army, there are NO appointments available yesterday, today or tomorrow. What's that all about?!?

I thought he might have an ear infection so I decided to take him to Urgent Care last night but once again, thanks to the wonderful inner workings of the US Army, the waiting room was packed. Standing room only. All infants and kids. (Can't someone see the pediatric unit needs a complete overhaul here? Hello!) So when the triage lady told me it was a 4-6 hour wait, we turned around and came home. That's ridiculous. I'm sorry but the last thing I wanted to do was sit there for hours upon hours. Besides, I think I got sick just walking in there. Hepatitis maybe. Or gangrene. Can you even catch gangrene? I don't know but I think I just did.

And to make it all worse, Sam HATES, and I mean HATES to have his nose wiped. The mere site of a tissue makes him cry. So I have tried to become the stealth wiper. Coming in from all angles when he least expects it. Over the top, around the corner, with tissues, with fingers (I'm desperate), with washcloths, with burp rags, you name it, I've wiped with it. Although 9 times out of 10 I just end up smearing it all over his cheeks rather than really wiping it up. Not good. And then in his attempts to evade the apparently not-so-stealth wiper, he ends up burying his face into my chest and smearing the snot all over my shirt. If only you could see me now. Me and my skid-marked snotty tee. Yumm. I am quite the site, let me tell you.
And so we are home, waiting it out. The snot and the cold. It is really cold here today. Our thermometer has been hovering around -20F and it's supposed to keep getting colder this weekend. Ugh. Thank goodness we are getting out of here in 2 weeks. Warm weather here we come.

2 comments:

Angie said...

He looks so pitiful. Christopher has gotten where he wants his nose wiped, but will wipe the snot all over his face himself if you aren't fast enough. Yuck. Hope his cold and your gangrene are better soon.

Katie said...

You can just TELL he feels like crap from those pictures. Poor baby!! Please tell me he is recovering quickly. There is NOTHING worse than sick kids. NOTHING!