Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sanity Saver Day 2

Today was the second day Bridget, our new wonderful, sweet, sanity saving baby sitter, has come over to watch the kids for 3 hours (9am-12pm) so I can shop, run errands, dash in to the store for a soda, browse baby sleep habits books at Barnes & Noble, or anything else I want to do for that matter.

BY MYSELF!! And it is WONDERFUL!!! Wonderful I tell you.

(I love love love my boys but dragging them around town all the time is not fun for anyone.)

The fact that I actually had room in my grocery cart at Fred Meyer to put a huge plastic tub, a Thomas the Tank Engine toy storage shelf, 2 boxes of hanging file folders, and a bunch of other crap without having to kick Bo out of the cart (which he absolutely hates by the way) or shove groceries in the few inches underneath Sam's car seat as it perches up top on the handlebars, was liberating.

I didn't have to go by the truck aisle to appease a screaming 2 year old or speed walk or constantly answer "why" questions or "what's that say, mommy?", or deliberate which child has to endure the cold a few minutes longer than the other while his brother gets put in the car first. I didn't have to do any of that.

But what I did get to do these past 2 days was go into stores with breakable things, small talk with the woman at the frame shop, return Christmas gifts, go to the post office, spend an hour at the fabric store picking out fabric for my nephew-to-be's quilt, and cross a ton of other things off of my to-do list. It's amazing how in 2 days I have accomplished more than I would have in months (errand wise that is).

And the best part about it all, is that Bridget will be coming over EVERY Tuesday and Thursday indefinitely. She is great. Bo has fun with her and she's wonderful with Sam. It seems to be a win-win situation. I hope it lasts.

5 comments:

POB said...

Other ideas for sanity saver days: pedicures, gym, reading People at Starbucks!

Angie said...

Time for yourself is so great!

Angie said...

Wow, the way you describe your new-found freedom makes me feel less burdened!

I've started reading more and more blogs (some from your list) written by mothers. You guys really do an amazing job raising your kids and even though I don't have any, it's inspiring to read.

Enjoy the twice-weekly vacation from your job:)

Katie said...

JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!! I am totally jealous. I am VERY glad for you, though. I really, truly think that should just be required. Every full time mom should have scheduled break time. Ahhh....

How did you find Bridget? Does she have a sister that lives in Maryland by chance? I can't find anyone who can babysit during school hours!

Randi Marie said...

I had my nephew for 5 hours yesterday and couldn't wait to pass him back to his mom. 5 HOURS and I was exhausted! You are truly a super mom and those boys are the luckiest kids in the world to have you as their mommy.
Enjoy your time to yourself. You deserve every second of it.