Monday, March 9, 2009

Is That My Birthday & Bo-isms #14

I have been talking to Bo quite a bit lately about his birthday and that it is coming up next week. He understands that he will get presents and a cake and that he will be 3 years old but that's about it. He still does not understand that a birthday is just a day, not a thing.

While driving this afternoon, he pointed out the side window of the car and asked if that was his birthday over there. And then tonight he went over to the living room window, looked both directions and said, "Mom, I can't see it. I can't see my birthday coming." How do you explain to a 2, almost 3 year old, that his birthday is coming but will never show up at the front door?

And then there's the cake. Oh, the cake. I asked him today if he would like an airplane cake for his birthday and he said, "Yes. And trains, and cars, and a space shuttle." Ummm, I do enjoy baking every now and then but I think that goes well beyond my level of expertise. I was just going to make a long skinny rectangle, ice it gray for the runway and stick some toy planes on it, but now I've got to turn into Martha Stewart-Gone-Mass-Transit by next week. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Angie said...

If you could put planes on a cake, couldn't you add the other stuff, too?

Katie said...

I was going to say the same thing...just add a few matchbox whatevers....maybe he could pick them out with you?

POB said...

Love the gray runway cake idea. Make it happen!