Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Free At Last

Break out the champagne. We have been binky free for 10 days now. 10 days! And I say "we" because it truly is a family affair.

Last Monday (March 30) Bo walked into the kitchen with one in his mouth and one in each hand. I have no idea where he found them all but I was annoyed. I cut the one in his mouth right then and there and told him to go put the other 2 away in his bed for safe keeping or they would get cut too. Mean Mama.

Not even an hour later they were back, and true to my word, I again, cut the one that was in his mouth. Then what did he do but stand right there in front of me and stick the other one in his mouth. Ugh. The little turd.

But not really ready to deal with no binkies at all, I told him that it was his last one and he should go put it in his bed or I would cut it. He looked up at me and caught me completely off guard. In the most sassy of sassy voices said, "Fine, cut it, mommy, cut it!" Like he can threaten me. So I popped that green thing out of his mouth and cut it.

His entire body slumped as he let out the saddest mopey whine followed by, " I don't want my binkies cut." And that was that. The 3 year binky confinement had come to and end. Well . . . sort of.

It has been a rough 10 days but not as rough as I honestly thought it would be. We have had a few malicious retaliations of Bo peeing on the carpet which he explains with, "because I'm mad you cut my binkies." And many late bed times because he just won't relax enough to fall asleep despite me laying with him and rubbing his head. And many mornings of long bouts of crying which by the way seem to be the worst time of day for him binky-free (totally opposite of what I would have expected). And endless endless comments of "I don't want my binkies cut" and "let's go buy some more at the store" and "I'm sad you cut my binkies" and occasions where he won't play with me because he's mad I cut his binkies. And "I want hot milk and binkies but you cut my binkies." But overall, it hasn't been too terrible. Really.

Although I have not caved, there have been a few times when I really wanted to give him one just for a few minutes. Just for a few sucks. Just to see him relaxed and happy. Not because he's crying and I want to shut him up, but because I know how much he genuinely loves his binky and he's crushed. So pathetic and sad. I feel like I stole his favorite blanky or coolest tonka truck but then again he's not attached to anything other than his binky so that metaphor doesn't work, but you get my point. He misses it terribly and I hope he forgets about it soon. He remembers EVERYTHING and I'm afraid he will be making binky comments forever (and that would just down right suck).

3 comments:

POB said...

I wonder if there's a 12 step program for binky addiction? The poor kid needs detox!

Katie said...

God. Parenting is so stressful!! I would be tempted to give him another one too....but you are doing well and staying strong! Think of it this way: better he be a little sad now than crushed later when some older kid makes fun of him for having one...(?) Maybe? I don't know! Hang in there!

Angie said...

Poor Bo. I'm pretty amazed that he can verbalize so well about why he is upset. Ashlyn just throws herself on the ground and is a total pita, without even knowing why most of the time, definitely not verbalizing.