Monday, November 10, 2008

Making Progress

Potty Training:
Bo has had absolutely no interest whatsoever in potty training so I decided to capitalize on his innate love of all things loud and annoying and bought him a musical potty. Now this is not your average, every day musical potty, mind you (if there is such a thing). This one sings, talks, makes noises, lights up. You name it, it does it. It has pressure sensors to detect when you're sitting on it, when you get up, or when something lands in the bowl. With the first two, it sings a song or makes a comment, and with the latter, it congratulates you. It's crazy, but Bo loves it.

He spent over an hour in the bathroom yesterday with his diaper off just playing with the potty, sitting on it, dancing around to the songs, reading books, putting toilet paper on the seat ("like mommy"), trying to go pee-pee. It also helped that I told him he would get a new car (mini hot-wheels car) if he did. There were a few times I tried to get him to come out of the bathroom and put a diaper on but he refused because he wanted the new car. And low and behold . . . he did it. He was so proud of himself. He came running out of the bathroom, "I did it, mommy! I did it!"

We have tried again a few times but nothing. He played in there for about 45 minutes today but the only thing that came of it was an entire roll of toilet paper getting shoved down the real toilet and him trying to fish it out with his hands. Ewwww. Needless to say, that was the end of that.

We will keep trying but I am not pushing the issue. I just want him to start getting interested in the idea and if he catches on, then great, if not, I'm sure he will someday. Otherwise he's going to be a 30 year old who talks in third person and wears a diaper.

Bottle Feeding:
This weekend I started to freak out some more about Sam refusing to take a bottle and the fact that I have no freedom whatsoever. If I ever want to go out for more than 2 hours alone, or go to the Nebraska game when we are home for Thanksgiving, I need to figure this out.

I bought some new bottles with smaller nipples and introduced Sam to formula for the first time on Saturday. He actually didn't fuss as much as I thought he might. The smaller nipples really helped and apparently the formula didn't taste too overly canned. Don't get me wrong, he only drank about 1 oz from me, twice, but it's a start and I am hopeful. My plan is to offer it to him every day this week and see where that gets me.

Keep your fingers crossed because by golly, I need some alone time.

Medicine Giving:
Ok, so this should probably be in a different post because there really isn't any progress being made in this area. Sam hates it and more ends up all over him than in him. His poor little cheeks are stained pink, as is my left index finger from trying to scoop the overflow back in to his mouth. We're turning in to the pink version of the Smurfs. That doesn't even make any sense, but you understand what I'm getting at. Right?

Anyhoo - we only have 3 more days left of the antibiotic to go so I think we're going to make it. I jut hope he's getting enough down to make a difference. The last thing I want is for his sinus infection to come back or never leave in the first place.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you make me laugh

Angie said...

That pink face is really pitiful! I hope that something is going in his mouth, too.

That's too funny about the potty. I have a similar version, without the lights and all and HATE it. Ashlyn didn't care about all of the singing and stuff. Plus, it has all kinds of cracks and crevices for stuff to get into. Yuck. The same things just don't work for every kid.

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Sorry I haven't commented lately... I am glad you are feeling better. I hurt for you everytime I looked at the blog and wished I coul be there to help.

The potty cracks me up. I laughed out loud at the thought of Bo dancing after a pee. Mostly, I laughed cause I could picture you and Wes doing the same... It will happen (the potty training). Don't worry.

Hope the bottle feeding goes well and the medicine works. Good luck.

I'm off to nap. Wilson and I are both home for Veteren's day, so I need to take advantage a some recovery time.

Katie said...

That potty is awesome! I am glad he's excited about it! Potty training just SUCKS if you ask me, so anything to help it, will be great...

Bottle feeding...SAME HERE. Becca never took a bottle and I was so trapped. I was adamant that Andrew take a bottle from the beginning. But, ummm...it isn't working. He hates the bottle. I don't know what to do. He will sometimes take it with breast milk, but not very often, and he'll never take it with forumula. WHAT A PAIN! If you find something that works, LET ME KNOW!

The mediciine is so sad looking! Poor baby! Why don't they make every medicine available in suppository form for babies?