Saturday, December 27, 2008

I Love The River

Bo Fishing With Opa

We all (Me, Wes, Bo, Sam, Opa, Nana, Paula, Chad, Kate, Claire, Tom and no-Tracy (stomach ache)) spent the day at the River yesterday. It was wonderful. There's just something in the air at The River that is comforting and peaceful. All the stresses of everyday life are forgotten and the simplicities of life are appreciated.

It is and has always been my go-to place. Anytime I am stressed or worried or in need of inner peace, I close my eyes and imagine myself wading in the river with the sounds of the water trickling over the rocks down by the little swing in the background, and the gentle rustle of trees swaying in the wind overhead. It is where I go to get away and the one place I miss the most living in Alaska.

The River to me symbolizes family, love, and childhood; all the things in life I never want to be without. The only difference now is that the childhood is now that of my kids rather than that of myself. I can't wait to share my memories of the River with them and to create new ones along side them in the years to come.

Wes Showing Kate A Worm

Sam & Claire Enjoying The Perfect Nap

Wes On The Little Swing

Bo Being Silly

4 comments:

Katie said...

Wow! I didn't even know you were headed to Texas. your trip sounds HELLACIOUS.

What river is that? The color is beautiful.

I'm glad you're there enjoying family, food and some warmth!

Laura said...

Katie -
It's the San Marcos River. It's the property where my dad grew up and the place my parents are now building their retirement house.

Angie said...

That's wonderful that you can introduce your kids to something that you love. It will be special to them as well.

The Torres Family said...

Oh, I remember this beautiful place. It also holds a great memory for me when some of us Seniors went there and had a blast. How wonderful that your parents will be retiring there. It's perfect!