Monday, December 8, 2008

I Think I've Been Starving My Kid

We gave Sam his first solid food (other than rice cereal) last night and he devoured it. Every last drop of sweet potatoes was gone. There wasn't even an inkling of a splatter on his shirt. He ate it all!
And once again I have fallen suit to the second baby syndrome. Sorry Sam. With Bo, I was gung-ho and made all of this first foods. I made batches of sweet potatoes, carrots, and squash and froze them in tiny containers to thaw out when needed. This time, I went to the Commissary, stocked up on pre-packaged, pre-portioned organic baby food to pop open when needed. So much easier and so much quicker, but oh so much wasted plastic. Sorry Mother Earth.

But, I digress. Sam. Yes. The starving child. Holy cow. I feel guilty. Tough love isn't what he needed to sleep more at night. Food is what he needed.
He ate the sweet potatoes at about 7:00pm, I nursed him around 7:30, he was in bed at 8:00, fell asleep shortly thereafter, and did not wake up until 11:30pm. That's 3.5 hours folks. 3.5 hours. And it continued through the night. It was wonderful. I only had to get up and nurse him twice. I say that's PROGRESS!

So today, I am going to feed him and fill his belly and hope the 3.5 hours turns in to 4.

2 comments:

POB said...

I suggest he start a diet of cheeseburgers, french fries, and beer QUICKLY. This always puts me to sleep. Hurray for Sam the eater!

Angie said...

That's pretty funny, because I thought it was kind of silly to make your own baby food with Ashlyn. But, I made almost all of Christopher's! But, with Ashlyn, I would have been cooking just to feed her, since I was living off peanut butter sandwiches, whatever friends would feed me, and thai take-out.

Hoping more sleep for you, though I do find it sad that you are so excited about 3.5 hours. Sad.